Take advantage of the fall foliage by participating in outdoor recreation related activities. Adventure weekend takes place in September, Friday through Sunday. Activities will include outdoor recreation related trips in rock climbing, backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking, or combination trips. Activities will vary from year-to-year. Activity fees may apply.
The activity for 2017 will be a backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail from Grayson Highlands State Park completing a loop through Mt. Rogers. Registration Deadline: September 9, 2017.
- Grayson Highlands State Park
- Mount Rogers (5,729 ft)
- Wild Ponies
- Team work & Confidence
- Comradery & Adventure
- Basic Outdoor Skills
- Identify the essential items to take on all outings, the ten essentials, the rule of 3, and layering
- Examine the benefits of Outdoor Recreation
- Explore career opportunities and training programs that exist in Southwest Virginia in Outdoor Recreation
- Learn about the potential weather hazards and safety best practices
- Learn the principles of Leave No Trace and demonstrate their implementation.
- Discuss water issues and staying hydrated on an outing
- Select proper equipment for activity
|Orientation:||September 12 (12:10pm or 6:00pm) in Davis Hall 237|
|Date/Time:||September 16 - September 17 from 7:00am to 6:00pm
Meeting at Davis Hall Parking Lot at 7:00am on September 16
|To Register or For More Information, Contact:||Michael Brown - (276)964-7703, email@example.com
Ariel Hartman - (276)964-7570, firstname.lastname@example.org
or (276)964-7277, email@example.com
|Activity:||Backpacking the Appalachia Trail
Grayson Highlands State Park through Mt. Rogers