Adventure Tourism and Outdoor Recreation
Grant Opportunities Available
Below are some ads that are now airing on local radio. Click play to listen.
Have you lost your job? And/or have you received or exhausted your Unemployment benefits?
Are you a former employee of a company connected to the Coal industry or coal-fired power plants?
If you answered yes to both, you may be eligible for additional training and job placement with local companies who are hiring.
Need help in finding out? Contact us for more information:
If starting your own business in outdoor recreation and adventure tourism sounds interesting to you there are options for you as well! Please contact us now to capitalize on these opportunities.
For Adventure Tourism and Outdoor Recreation, the following regional job opportunities exist:
Working for an Existing Business
- Parks such as Breaks, Hungry Mothers, Natural Tunnel, and future Clinch River State Park (Park Ranger, guides, Maintenance, Naturalist, Education and Interpretation, and customer service)
- Cabela’s (Retail Sales Outfitter, Customer Service, Inventory, Boat Rigger)
- Bass Pro Shop
- Existing businesses hiring additional outfitter and guides (Shuttle Drivers, Bike Repair Tech, etc.)
- Working for existing service businesses including ATV sales and maintenance, camp grounds, bed and breakfast, hotels and restaurants.
- Other large seasonal employers include Summit, high adventure base, and various snow skiing businesses.
- backcountry.com (Merchandise Processors)
- REI hires Outdoor instructors and Sales Associates
Entrepreneurial Opportunities (Unlimited Potential)
Support and service business opportunities that exist include:
- Outfitter / Guide based businesses (kayaking, climbing, etc.)
- Outfitters for equipment and outdoor clothing purchases
- Hotel, bed and breakfast
- Towing services
- ATV Sales and Repair/Maintenance
- ATV Parts and supply sales
- Shuttle Service for biking, hiking, canoeing / kayaking, climbing
- Guide Service for biking, hiking, canoeing / kayaking, climbing
- Sporting Goods / Supplies
- Convenience Stores
- Restaurants along trails / rivers
- Other Tourism type services
- Booking Agents
Would you be interested in pursuing a career in Outdoor Recreation?
- Tourism has recently been noted as one of the area’s largest growing sectors. At the national level, the tourism industry employs over 13 million workers.
- SWCC currently offers a 29-credit career studies certificate program in Outdoor Recreation, which will prepare individuals for jobs in occupations such as recreation coordinator, facilities coordinator, outdoor recreation planner, guest relations, events coordinator, camp counselor, path/trail technician, and park maintenance.
Would you be interested in starting your own business in Adventure Tourism?
- With the growth of tourism in Southwest Virginia, several entrepreneurial opportunities are available for ambitious, self-starters who have a strong working ethic.
- Located in St. Paul, Virginia, Clinch River Adventures (premiere canoe, kayak, and tube rental/guide/shuttle services) and The Mountain View Dirt Bike and ATV Trail System part of the Spearhead Trails, were both started by local entrepreneurs. These successful businesses are just a few examples of how entrepreneurism is alive and well in Southwest Virginia, and how the tourism sector offers several opportunities for business start-ups.
- SWCC currently offers a 29-credit career studies certificate program in Adventure Tourism that prepares individuals to be small business owners in the tourism industry.
Cohorts Now Forming, contact us for more information! 276.964.7505
Opportunities available for those affected by the downturn in the coal industry.
Disclaimer: Must meet eligibility requirements. Funded by the POWER-RESOURCE FULL National Dislocated Worker Grant (NDWG) Project and the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act.