General Studies Associate Degree
Our flexible General Studies associate’s degree offers a great starting point for a four-year degree.
With an Associate of Arts and Sciences in General Studies, you can earn half the credits you need for a bachelor’s while keeping your options open and exploring a wide range of interests.
Our general studies associate’s degree provides a broad foundation of skills you can build on. You’ll improve your abilities in writing, critical thinking, and math, while earning credits that are equivalent to the freshman and sophomore years of a bachelor’s degree.
By earning those credits in Southwest Virginia Community College’s general studies degree program, you’ll get more personal attention than you would at a large university, while paying lower tuition and getting strong academic guidance.
In addition, our associate’s degree in general studies enables you to:
- Get one-on-one instruction, support, and mentoring from faculty.
- Take college courses on a friendly campus with small classes that encourage interaction.
- Explore many academic subjects to find the one that’s right for you.
- Build confidence in your ability to do college-level work and earn a bachelor’s degree.
- Earn respected college credits that you can transfer easily to almost any four-year school.
- Pay affordable tuition that fits into your budget.
- Graduate from an accredited community college that meets the highest academic standards.
Develop Skills That Employers Value With a General Studies Degree
Today’s employers seek well-rounded individuals with versatile skills. Our General Studies associate’s degree enables you to strengthen skills that have value in the job market.
The general studies program lets you integrate courses from a wide range of academic subjects, while you gain experience and skill in:
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Written and oral communication
- Quantitative reasoning
- Information literacy
- Teamwork and problem solving
- Civic knowledge
- Ethical reasoning and action
Program Code: 697