Virginia Placement Test Help
Which English and Math courses do you need to take first?
After you have submitted an application to the College you are required to take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) in English (reading & writing) and math before beginning classes.
The VPT is a comprehensive, computer-adaptive, un-timed test designed to help place students into appropriate courses needed to ensure student success.
- Allow approximately two to three hours for the tests. An SWCC EmplId (student id number), Photo ID, and email address are required to access the VPT test.
- Students may contact the Learning Assistance Center to schedule an appointment for testing at 276.964.7706.
- Placement testing hours are between 8am to 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- The testing center is located in the Learning Assistance Center in Dellinger Hall – room DE 215 (inside Library).
(See Test Preparation Material below)
EXCEPTIONS: You may not have to take the VPT:
- Any student who has earned an associate degree or higher or who has earned a C or better in college-level courses in math and/or English at a regionally accredited institution will be exempt from placement testing provided they meet the prerequisites for the respective courses in their chosen program of study.
- Any student who has successfully completed developmental courses at a VCCS institution will be exempt from placement testing in those areas.
- Any student who has successfully completed developmental courses at a non-VCCS institution will have their coursework evaluated for placement.
- A student may submit a high school/home school transcript or an approved test score for placement evaluation. Seniors who have not yet graduated may submit a transcript as of the completion of the first semester of the senior year to determine readiness for placement into college-level courses for the purpose of early admission.
- Any student who is not placed by the above criteria will take the Virginia Placement Test, or ESL-specific test, as appropriate. Students have the option to take the Virginia Placement Test in order to improve their placement standing after other measures are considered. Such placement test scores will not be used to place a student in a lower English or math course than indicated by other criteria, unless the student desires a lower placement.
- Taken the SAT with the following score criteria:
Writing & Reading = 480
Math = 530
- Taken the ACT with the following score criteria:
ACT = 18+
Math = 22+
- Taken the GED with the following score criteria:
English – 165 or above
Math – 155 or above
- The following programs require the VPT regardless of SAT or ACT scores:
Occupational Therapy Assistant
1. Directions for the Virginia Placement Test PRACTICE TESTS Download PDF
2. Virginia Math Placement Test Practice Questions and Answers Download PDF
3. Online Resources to Help Students Review for the VPT-English Download PDF
The Getting Started in Science & Math page also provides information about Math testing and practice materials for VPT Math.
Authorized Certification Testing Center
SWCC also provides facilities for Certiport Authorized testing services, which include the Microsoft Office Specialist Certifications exams and the Internet and Computing Core Certifications (IC3). Pearson VUE Authorized Testing Services are also available for many Information Technology Certifications and Professional Licensures.
Check the Distance Learning Website or call 276.964.7279 for more information.