Which English and Math courses do you need to take first?
After you have submitted an application to the College you are required to take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) in English (reading & writing) and math before beginning classes.
The VPT is a comprehensive, computer-adaptive, un-timed test designed to help place students into appropriate courses needed to ensure student success.
- Allow approximately two to three hours for the tests. An SWCC EmplId (student id number), Photo ID, and email address are required to access the VPT test.
- Students may contact the Learning Assistance Center to schedule an appointment for testing at 276.964.7706.
- Placement testing hours are between 8am to 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- The testing center is located in the Learning Assistance Center in Dellinger Hall – room DE 215 (inside Library).
(See Test Preparation Material below)
You may not have to take this test if you have:
• Completed a college-level English or math course (with a grade of C or above) at another accredited college or university.
• Taken the SAT with scores that meet the minimum placement prerequisite. (SAT scores of 500+ in both writing and reading plus SAT math scores of 520+ are acceptable for programs other than health care programs.)
• Taken the ACT with scores that meet the minimum placement prerequisite. (ACT scores of 21+ plus ACT math scores of 22+ are acceptable for programs other than health care programs.)
• Taken the VPT placement tests at another Virginia Community College with scores that meet the minimum placement prerequisite.
1. Directions for the Virginia Placement Test PRACTICE TESTS Download PDF
2. Virginia Math Placement Test Practice Questions and Answers Download PDF
3. VCCS MATHSITE – website for resources to help you succeed in the VPT for math
4. Online Resources to Help Students Review for the VPT-English Download PDF
|www.math.comwww.khanacademy.comwww.visualmathlearning.com www.purplemath.com|| http://owl.english.purdue.edu http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar
Authorized Certification Testing Center
SWCC also provides facilities for Certiport Authorized testing services, which include the Microsoft Office Specialist Certifications exams and the Internet and Computing Core Certifications (IC3). Pearson VUE Authorized Testing Services are also available for many Information Technology Certifications and Professional Licensures.
Check the Distance Learning Website or call 276.964.7279 for more information.