Parent & Student Information
Dual-enrollment at SWCC provides high school students with an opportunity to get a head start on their college education. Students can take college level courses that meet both high school and college requirements. This unique program allows students to shorten their time to college graduation and save on the cost of the college-level courses.
If you have questions about dual enrollment at SWCC or need more information, contact:
Christina Rimmer, Coordinator of Academic Outreach & Dual Enrollment
Office: Tazewell Hall Room 339, Phone: 276.964.7246, Email:Christina.Rimmer@sw.eduDownload the SWCC Dual Enrollment Manual
Why should students participate in Dual Enrollment?
- Dual enrollment provides many benefits to both vocational- and college-bound high school students.
- Students get a jump on college that often translates into earlier college graduation.
- Students and their parents save on course tuition when compared to regular tuition at a community college. The savings is even greater when compared to public and private four-year institutions.
- Dual enrollment courses transfer to the majority of Virginia’s four-year colleges and universities.
- Students get exposure to working at the college level and begin developing the skills needed to succeed later in their academic career.
What will Dual Enrollment cost?
Dual enrollment students receive a tuition discount. Due to federal regulations, high school students are not eligible for financial aid.
Download a SWCC Dual Enrollment Permission Form.
Dual Enrollment vs. Advanced Placement Courses
Each year many students take advantage of Advanced Placement (AP) courses to bolster their GPA. However, a great number of students fail to take the AP exam, which is required if the course credits are to be counted at the college-level.
Dual Enrollment’s advantage is that no “all or nothing” comprehensive exam is required. Students earning a C or above can automatically transfer those credits to a participating college or university
Special Honors for Dual Enrolled Students
Students pursuing an Advanced Studies Diploma can attain additional recognition with a special Governor’s Seal. This honor applies to students with 3.0 GPA or better, who earn an Advanced Studies Diploma and successfully completes one AP or college-level course.
Students may also achieve honors as an Early College Scholar by concurrently completing 15 credit hours of college-level work while finishing high school.
Dual Enrollment – Administrators & Instructors
SWCC accepts all credits earned from dual enrollment into appropriate programs of study at the college. Credits for dual enrollment will generally be accepted by four-year colleges and universities. However, every institution of higher education determines which courses it will accept for transfer credit.
Dual Enrollment Placement Policy
Effective March 19, 2012
Southwest Virginia Community College requires all dual-enrollment students to meet the same placement criteria as on campus students. If a course has a prerequisite or requires a placement test, the dual enrollment student will be required to take the same applicable test.
Dual enrollment courses are offered to rising juniors and seniors with the exception of a select few sophomores who have permission from their principal to take courses in their specific career pathway.
Student Information Access for Dual Enrollment Instructors
1. Dual Enrollment Instructors are requested to read the Dual Enrollment Security Awareness document.
2. The Dual Enrollment Coordinator will complete the Dual Enrollment Security Access with the instructor information.
3. The instructor signs the access form and the Dual Enrollment Coordinator also signs and submits the form to Admissions.
4. Admissions completes their section as Data Owner and assigns the instructor system access to MYSouthwest.
5.The completed Security form is submitted to the IT Peoplesoft Coordinator.
Once Security Awareness Documents are received, instructors will receive instructions on how to enter grades into the Student Information System