Tuition Free College Education
Please read these Eligibility Conditions before applying. Updated January 2024.
Notice to Buchanan County Applicants: Please review the Eligibility & Application Requirements carefully before submitting your application. Volunteer hours are required. After submitting your application, you may download the Buchanan County Community Service Verification Form and visit the Volunteer page to see current community service opportunities available to you.
- Students must apply for admission to SWCC and meet entrance requirements.
- Students must complete the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in its
entirety and any verification requirements as communicated by the Financial Aid office.
- Students must complete high school with a 2.0 GPA and maintain a 2.0 GPA to retain
- Funds are available for up to 6 continuous semesters following high school graduation,
beginning no later than the fall term after the high school graduation for up to 2
years. (If a fall or spring term is skipped, this disqualifies you from the program)
- Ability to provide proof of residency in Buchanan County for at least one (1) year before applying for college admission, as well as graduating from a school in Buchanan County.
- Complete 8 hours of community service each term with a 501C3 organization or
government entity. Community Service hours must be completed in Buchanan County
during the same term as when county funding is applied. Students must turn in Volunteer
Hours form by deadline(same date grades are posted), or you will be disqualified from the
program. **Form and volunteer locations found at sw.edu/volunteer
- Please complete your BCC application online at sw.edu/connect-buchanan-county by
the deadline of June 1st. It is recommended to complete this regardless of what Financial
Aid you think you will receive and regardless of the college you plan on attending. If not
completed and your situation changes after the deadline, then you will not be eligible
without an application on file.
*Students who live outside Buchanan County are NOT eligible for this program. Students graduating from a school outside of Buchanan County are NOT eligible. Funding is last‐dollar and is only available for tuition. This means that if you qualify for other types of Financial Aid to cover your tuition, you will not receive BCC in addition to that (you will only receive one or the other). Funding and eligibility requirements are contingent upon an approved county budget, set by the Board of Supervisors, each year by July 1st. Course Specific fees are not covered under this funding.
**Students should complete the SWCC Scholarship Application at https://swcc.awardspring.com by the deadline of March 31st to determine if they are eligible for additional funds to help with books, etc.
All current High School graduates, including home school & private school, are eligible to apply if received by the deadline.
**APPLICATION IS DUE BY JUNE 1st **
For more information regarding Buchanan County CONNECT, please contact:
Jessica Ellis, Financial Aid Specialist, at 276‐964‐7291, 276‐964‐7724, or email@example.com
Important Telephone Numbers:
Admissions Office: 276-964-7238
Financial Aid: 276-964-7724
SWCC Educational Foundation: 276-964-7351