Practical Nursing Certificate
At the successful completion of the program, and application approval of the state board of nursing, students will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX exam, leading to licensure as a practical nurse.
Designed for students who are new to nursing, the program combines classroom instruction with hands-on training.
A PROGRAM THAT PREPARES YOU
Southwest Virginia Community College’s Certificate in Practical Nursing offers the training and support you need to earn a license as a practical nurse.
You can complete this nursing certificate in just four semesters, developing the knowledge and skills to pass the LPN licensure exam and enter the work force as a health care professional.
Designed for students who are new to nursing, our nursing certificate program provides a supportive learning environment that combines classroom instruction with hands-on training. You’ll work with experienced nursing instructors who will take a personal interest in your education and help you meet the challenges that new nurses often face.
PAYING FOR COLLEGE
Southwest Virginia Community College has options to help you pay for a degree or certificate. A high percentage of students receive assistance through financial aid.
Learn about paying for college and current tuition-free programs here.
- Get personalized instruction from experienced nursing faculty.
- Take classes on a friendly campus that’s low on hassles and high on face-to-face relationships.
- Learn from seasoned nursing faculty who have many years of professional experience.
- Belong to a community of students and faculty who support one another
- Gain hands-on practice in supervised environments where you can develop your nursing skills.
- Receive excellent preparation for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN). Since 2006, a majority of our students have passed the NCLEX-PN on their first attempt.
Southwest Virginia Community College’s licensed practical nursing program meets the highest professional standards. Our program is sanctioned by the Virginia State Board of Nursing. The Practical Nursing Program is approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing, however is not accredited by a nursing education accrediting body.
Once you’ve earned your practical nursing certificate and passed the NCLEX-PN, you’ll have a wide range of job opportunities. LPNs work in many types of settings, and demand is increasing. For 2015 graduates the self-reported job placement rate was 100%. You’ll find opportunities with employers such as:
Schools and child care centers
Public health agencies
In-home health care services.