Clinical Laboratory Sciences – VCU
Virginia Commonwealth University Guaranteed Admission Agreement
Contact Georgia.Householder@sw.edu for more information.
Whited has been accepted to Virginia Commonwealth University School of Clinical Laboratory Sciences (CLS) located at the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center (SVHEC) in Abingdon, Virginia this fall.
She is the daughter of Melissa A. and Rodney D. Whited II of Tazewell, VA.
Responsibilities of SWCC students who desire to apply to VCU for the Clinical Laboratory Sciences B.S. degree
- Upon the completion of 15 credits at SWCC, complete the online form at http://www.ugrad.vcu.edu/applv/transfer/letter-of-interest.aspx . VCU representatives will periodically contact students who complete the letter of interest with important information to ensure a successful transfer to VCU.
- Meet with a SWCC faculty advisor prior to the completion of 30 credits towards their degree program to ensure degree progress and completion.
- Apply for SWCC AA&S degree graduation by the published deadline for graduation as specified by SWCC.
- Complete the application steps for the Clinical Laboratory Science program as outlined on the admissions website http://www.ugrad.vcu.edu/apply by the application deadline.
- Upon acceptance to VCU, submit the required enrollment deposit within 30 days of receipt of admission letter.
SWCC students who graduate with an AA&S degree and meet all of the following criteria will be guaranteed admission to the YCU B.S. in Clinical Laboratory Sciences program:
- Apply by the Clinical Laboratory Sciences application deadline at http://www.ugrad.vcu.edu/apply/
- Earn an Associate of Arts and Sciences in Science at Southwest Virginia Community College. See the program transfer table below and speak with your Science advisor.
- Earn a minimum cumulative SWCC GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and no individual grade lower than a “C” at the time of application to be granted junior standing at VCU.
- Complete a minimum of 60 credits of courses approved for transfer to VCU in the Course Equivalency Database http://www.transfer.vcu.eduNCCS/course-equivalencv.aspx.
- Complete the following prerequisites for admission into the Clinical Laboratory Sciences degree program:
- – 6 credits of English Composition (ENG 111-112)
- – 3 credits of Precalculus(MTH 163) or higher mathematics
- – 12 credits of chemistry (CHM 111-112, CHM 241 and CHM 243)
- – 12 credits of biology (BIO 141-142 and one of the following courses: BIO 101 102, 205, or 256)
- – 3 credits of humanities or fine arts (a 3 credit history elective or a 3 credit course from the SWCC list of approved humanities transfer courses)
- – 3 credits of social sciences (a 3 credit course from the SWCC list of approved social science transfer courses).
- Submit two recommendations from SWCC science or math instructors that highly recommend or recommend the applicant without reservation.
- Receive a satisfactory rating on interview.
SWCC Clinical Laboratory Sciences Transfer Program Table
|Requirement||SWCC Course||Credits||VCU Course||Credits|
|Biology||BIO 101-102 (Gen Bio)||8||BIOL/Z151, BIOL/Z 152||8|
|BIO 141, 142 (A&P) recommended||VCU Equivalent|
|Chemistry||CHM 111||4||CHEM lO1+CHEZ 101||4|
|CHM 112||4||CHEM 102+CHEZ 102||4|
|English||ENG 111||3||UNIV l11+UNIV 112||3|
|ENG 112||3||UNIV 200||3|
|Mathematics||MTH 163||3||MATH 141 or VCU |
|MTH 271 (Calculus)||3||VCU Equivalent||3|
|Math 240 (Statistics)||3||VCU Equivalent||3|
|SDV Course||SDV 101||1||Not transferable|
|History electives||2 courses of the following: HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 111, HIS 112,|
HIS 121, HIS 122 or
other approved HIS
|Social/Behavioral Science||2 courses from the|
SWCC list of approved
social science transfer
|Literature||ENG 241||3||VCU Equivalent||3|
|Humanities Elective||SWCC list of approved humanities transfer courses||3||VCU Equivalent||3|
|HLT / PED||2 courses from the|
SWCC list of approved
PED or HLT courses
|Science elective||Bio 205 or Bio 141, Bio 142||4||VCU Equivalent||4|
|* Science requirement||CHM 241/243 Lab (Organic Chem I and lab)||4||CHEM 301/CHEZ 301||4|
|Communication||CST 100||3||VCU Equivalent||3|
*Must have 4 hours of organic chemistry; it is required.