Thank you for your interest in Science and Math at Southwest!
Why attend SWCC?
Faculty encourages critical thinking and problem solving needed in any career pursuit.
Outside experts bring lectures to the classroom exposing students to new ideas and career opportunities.
2. Outstanding science facilities and technology
New to the department are the outdoor classroom and virtual cadaver lab.
Great academic advisement with mentoring and encouragement.
3. Classes are small
Students are known by name.
The department offers exciting field trips from local areas of scientific interest to the Baruch Institute in South Carolina to study estuary and marine animal life and their ecosystems.
4. Students are treated as part of a caring community
SDV 101 Orientation to Science allows students to foster friendships with students of a common interest area.
Friends are quickly made in the classroom.
5. Excellent transfer rate
The faculty prepares students for entry into universities or professional schools.
Most importantly the students are successful upon transfer.
SWCC has many articulation agreements with colleges, universities and professional schools
PLUS! A university education at a community college price!
Earning an Associate Degree lowers cost of housing and living expenses. It is the best education at the best price.
Part of the admissions process is providing assessment scores for your class placement prior to class registration. The content on this page will help you with that!
Virginia Placement Test for Mathematics (VPT Math)
You must submit your application for admission before taking the placement test unless you qualify for exemption from the VPT.
- Personal calculators cannot be used. The test includes a non-graphing calculator for all topics except the test on basic skills with whole numbers.
- Math test scores are valid for two years.
- One VPT Math retest is allowed within 12 months of the initial attempt on the Virginia Placement Test, if taken before you enroll in a math course.
The Virginia Placement Test for Mathematics – VPT Math is an adaptive, computerized, un-timed test.
On parts of the test, when you answer test questions correctly, the questions will continue to get more difficult as you move through the test levels. Incorrect answers will result in less difficult questions. When you can no longer consistently answer the questions correctly, the test will stop and your course placement is determined.
Some other courses such as science and computer science courses also require a qualifying score on the math placement test.
For more information & VPT Math practice tests go to the SWCC Assessment & Testing page and the VCCS Mathsite at http://vccsblogs.com/math/
Courses with Math Essentials (MTE) Units as Prerequisites
|Course||Prerequisite MTE Units|
|MTH 151 ||1,2,3,4,5
|MTH 152 ||1,2,3,4,5
|MTH 157 ||1,2,3,4,5
|MTH 164 ||1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Step 2. At the login, click Student Self-Registration and enter the following:
• Institution: Select VCCS Practice Test Institution from the drop down box
• Site: VCCS Practice Test from the drop down box
• Site Password: Virginiapt
Step 3. Complete the Student Registration Form. Note the following fields:
Student ID Field:
- For students who have completed an SWCC application, use the letters SWCC and your seven digit EMPLID (student id number). Example: SWCC#######. NOTE: If your EMPLID starts with a zero, omit it. For example, if your EMPLID is 0326844, enter SWCC26844 instead of SWCC0326844.
- For an individual taking the practice test who does not have an EMPLID (student id number), the college abbreviation could be followed by most any combination of numbers and letters. Example: SWCC2468agb
Email Address Field: Since your VCCS student email address will be used for the “real” test, the VCCS email address should NOT be entered when registering for the practice test. An alternate email should be used so that the student can receive an auto-generated email containing the logon and password info to resume the practice test if it is isn’t completed in one sitting.
Step 4. Click submit
Step 5. Next you will see the End User Subscription Agreement. Read and then click Accept.
Step 6. You will then be taken to the Dashboard listing and linking the tests.
A. VPT Math Practice Units 1-5
B. VPT Math Practice Units 6-9
C. VPT Math Practice Calculus No Trig
D. VPT Math Practice Calculus with Trig
Step 7. Click on a link to choose the practice test. Read the directions and then click on Begin Test. Use the Next button to move forward throughout the test. Note: you may click Save and Finish Later at any time.
Step 8. When you are done with a test, click the final submit button. You will be taken back to the Dashboard. To view your results, click on the test link. This will take you to the Score Report page.
Score Report: The correct answers to practice test questions print on the score report for the practice test in addition to the student’s responses. The student can then review the information that was missed.
Online resources to help you are listed below