PTAC Procurement Technical Assistance Center
Getting Government Down to Business in Western Virginia
New clients please sign up with SWCC PTAC to receive the resources and training to become involved with government contracting. Services provided are free of charge.
Procurement Technical Assistance Centers work nationwide to provide businesses with the marketing know-how and technical tools they need to obtain and perform successfully under federal, state and local government contracts – with the mission of creating and retaining jobs, fostering competition and lower costs for the government, and helping to sustain our armed forces’ readiness.
Earn your share of the more than $300 billion the United States Government spends annually on various products and services! Thousands of contracts totaling billions of dollars bypass small firms that do not know about or understand government procurement!
Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
US Mail: PTAC, SWCC
POB SVCC, Richlands, VA 24641
Main Office Phone: 276.964.7334
Offices: SWCC Campus. Buchanan Hall Room 113
724 Community College Road, Richlands, VA 24641
Mountain Empire Community College
New River Community College
Patrick Henry Community College
Virginia Highlands Community College
Wytheville Community College
Rhonda Vandyke, Program Director
Michele Lowe, Procurement Specialist
Donna J. Morrow, Procurement Specialist
Judy Sayers, Procurement Specialist
Our regional PTAC office serves the following counties: Bland, Buchanan, Carroll, Craig, Dickenson, Floyd, Giles, Grayson, Henry, Lee, Montgomery, Patrick, Pulaski, Rockbridge, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe.
Find a PTAC - http://www.aptac-us.org
- Small Business Administration - SBA's Free Online Training
- Veterans and Services Disabled Veterans - US Department of Veterans Affairs, Center for Veterans Enterprise Web Portal
- Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone) - sba.gov/hubzone.
- Woman Owned Small Business (WOSB) - sba.gov/wosb
- Small Business Size Standards - sba.gov/sizestandards
- Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business - sba.gov/sdvosb
- For information on the formal certification for the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to www.vetbiz.gov
Federal Procurement Goals
In order to ensure that small, minority, woman and service disabled veteran-owned businesses get their fair share of federal procurement dollars, the Small Business Administration (SBA) negotiates annual procurement goals with each federal agency and review each agency's results. Procurement goals are established in terms of percentage of annual expenditures.
- 23% of all prime contracts is to be set aside for small businesses
- 5% of all prime and subcontracts is to be set aside for small disadvantaged businesses
- 5% of all prime and subcontracts is to be set aside for woman-owned businesses
- 3% of all prime contracts is to be set aside for HUBZone small businesses
- 3% of all prime and subcontracts is to be set aside for to Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small businesses
Useful Information Links
- Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) – https://acquisition.gov/
- FedBizOpps.gov - https://www.fbo.gov/
- North American Industry Classification System - https://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/
- SAM – System for Award Management - https://www.sam.gov/SAM/
- Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) - https://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/dfarspgi/current/
- General Services Administration - https://www.gsa.gov/
- Defense Internet Bid Board System (DIBBS) - http://www.dibbs.bsm.dla.mil/dodwarning.aspx?goto=/
- The Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR), The Small Business Innovation Research program (SBIR) program (SBIR/STTR) - https://www.sbir.gov/about/about-sttr
- Department of Homeland Security/FEMA - https://www.fema.gov/
- Virginia State Procurement System (eVA) - https://eva.virginia.gov/index.html
- SWAM Certification – https://www.sbsd.virginia.gov/certification-division/swam/
- Small Business Supply Diversity (SBSD) - https://www.sbsd.virginia.gov/
SWCC PTAC , which serves as a Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC), is funded in part through a cooperative agreement from the Department of Defense (DoD through a program that is administered by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).The content of any written materials or verbal communications for the PTAC does not necessarily reflect the official views of or imply endorsement by DOD or DLA.