PTAC Procurement Technical Assistance Center
Getting Government Down to Business in Western Virginia
New clients please sign up with SWCC PTAC to receive the resources and training to become involved with government contracting. Services provided are free of charge.
Procurement Technical Assistance Centers work nationwide to provide businesses with the marketing know-how and technical tools they need to obtain and perform successfully under federal, state and local government contracts – with the mission of creating and retaining jobs, fostering competition and lower costs for the government, and helping to sustain our armed forces’ readiness.
Earn your share of the more than $300 billion the United States Government spends annually on various products and services! Thousands of contracts totaling billions of dollars bypass small firms that do not know about or understand government procurement!
MESSAGE REGARDING COVID-19 RESPONSE
As you know the COVID-19 virus is dominating the news and our personal and professional lives in a significant way. The Southwest Virginia Community College PTAC is open for business to support you on a regular basis but we are implementing some risk reduction procedures that may affect the way that we interact with our clients.
Here is what you can expect
1. Webinars are being planned for the future and more information will be forthcoming at a later date.
2. Seminars, workshops and site visits will be evaluated individually and, most likely, hosted using our technology platforms such as Zoom rather than being hosted in person.
3. Client contact will remain active but we will rely heavily on technology platforms to facilitate counseling sessions and minimize physical interactions. Your counselor will reach out to you to set up alternate means of facilitating counseling sessions. Please feel free to reach out to your counselor if you need assistance or have questions.
Thank you for your patience and support. Our contact information is listed below.
COVID-19 Business Assistance Resource Links
Small Business Administration:
U.S. Treasury Department (which links to CARES Act and more):
OSHA for guidance on preparing workplaces for COVID19:
U.S. Department of the Treasury, IRS and the U.S. Department of Labor overview:
Paycheck Protection Program:
Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements:
Full text of the Cares Act:
Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
US Mail: PTAC, SWCC
POB 1101, Richlands, VA 24641
Main Office Phone: 276.964.7334
Offices: SWCC Campus. Tazewell Hall Room 111
724 Community College Road, Richlands, VA 24641
Mountain Empire Community College
New River Community College
Patrick Henry Community College
Virginia Highlands Community College
Wytheville Community College
Rhonda Vandyke, Program Director
Michele Lowe, Procurement Specialist
Judy Sayers, Procurement Specialist
Our regional PTAC office serves the following counties: Bland, Buchanan, Carroll, Craig, Dickenson, Floyd, Giles, Grayson, Lee, Montgomery, Patrick, Pulaski, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe.
Find a PTAC - http://www.aptac-us.org
- Small Business Administration - SBA's Free Online Training
- Vets First Verification Program - https://va.gov/osdbu/verification
- Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone) - sba.gov/hubzone.
- Woman Owned Small Business (WOSB) - sba.gov/wosb
- Small Business Size Standards - sba.gov/sizestandards
- Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business - sba.gov/sdvosb
- For information on the formal certification for the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to va.gov/osdbu/verification
- 8(a) Business Development - sba.gov/8a
Federal Procurement Goals
In order to ensure that small, minority, woman and service disabled veteran-owned businesses get their fair share of federal procurement dollars, the Small Business Administration (SBA) negotiates annual procurement goals with each federal agency and review each agency's results. Procurement goals are established in terms of percentage of annual expenditures.
- 23% of all prime contracts is to be set aside for small businesses
- 5% of all prime and subcontracts is to be set aside for small disadvantaged businesses
- 5% of all prime and subcontracts is to be set aside for woman-owned businesses
- 3% of all prime contracts is to be set aside for HUBZone small businesses
- 3% of all prime and subcontracts is to be set aside for to Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small businesses
Useful Information Links
- Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) – https://acquisition.gov/
- Contract Opportunities - beta.sam.gov
- North American Industry Classification System - https://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/
- SAM – System for Award Management - https://www.sam.gov/SAM/
- Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) - https://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/dfarspgi/current/
- General Services Administration - https://www.gsa.gov/
- Defense Internet Bid Board System (DIBBS) - http://www.dibbs.bsm.dla.mil/dodwarning.aspx?goto=/
- The Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR), The Small Business Innovation Research program (SBIR) program (SBIR/STTR) - https://www.sbir.gov/about/about-sttr
- Department of Homeland Security/FEMA - https://www.fema.gov/
- Virginia State Procurement System (eVA) - https://eva.virginia.gov/index.html
- SWAM Certification – https://www.sbsd.virginia.gov/certification-division/swam/
- Small Business Supply Diversity (SBSD) - https://www.sbsd.virginia.gov/
SWCC PTAC , which serves as a Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC), is funded in part through a cooperative agreement from the Department of Defense (DoD through a program that is administered by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).The content of any written materials or verbal communications for the PTAC does not necessarily reflect the official views of or imply endorsement by DOD or DLA.