Start your path toward a health care career with a Pre-Medical specialization from Southwest Virginia Community College.
Southwest Virginia Community College’s pre-med specialization provides you with an affordable first step toward a professional degree in a health-care specialty.
Our pre-med program serves recent high school graduates, as well as working adults who seek to make a career change.Whether you’re interested in medicine, pharmacy, optometry, dentistry, physical therapy, occupational therapy, or another health care specialty, our science associate’s degree with pre-medical specialization provides 60 high-quality credits that transfer to any public four-year school in Virginia.
Why start the journey in Southwest Virginia Community College’s pre-med specialization?
- Get outstanding academic preparation. You’ll get face-to-face instruction from professors who know you by name. Our pre-med program doesn’t have giant lecture courses with hundreds of students. You’ll learn in small classes that encourage peer interaction and one-on-one attention from faculty.
- Save money. Our low per-credit tuition enables you to save thousands on the first two years of your pre-medical preparation. You’ll earn applicable credits toward the same bachelor’s degree that you’d get by attending a university for all four years—but you’ll pay a lot less.
- Make a smooth transition to college life. Southwest Virginia Community College has a welcoming environment that helps you adjust successfully to college. If you encounter any challenges—academic, financial, or personal—you can get friendly, helpful support from an adviser or faculty member who knows you and cares about your success. Our flexible class offerings help working adults fit college coursework into their busy schedules.
- Receive strong career guidance and academic advising. Our academic advisors will ensure that you’re prepared for the next step in your education. You’ll get personalized help in choosing courses, studying for standardized exams, preparing applications, and meeting admissions deadlines.
- Earn transferable credits from an accredited college. SWCC has guaranteed admission agreements with more than 20 colleges and universities in Virginia, so your pre-med credits transfer automatically. And since we’re a fully accredited institution, you can transfer our credits to almost any four-year school you choose.
Our Pre-med Program Offers Affordable Tuition, Excellent Teaching, and Transferable Credits
Schools that educate health care professionals look for well-rounded students with a variety of skills and achievements. At SWCC, you’ll have an easy time getting involved in student activities, community service and other extracurricular activities that can strengthen your application.
The pre-med specialization of our Science associate’s degree includes coursework and labs in:
- Organic Chemistry
View the complete list of course requirements for the Associate’s Degree in Science with Pre-Medical Specialization at SWCC
Program Code: 881-03