Reporting an emergency or a threatening situation – How to get HELP?
CONTACT INFORMATION: The emergency personnel should be contacted in the following order depending upon the severity and urgency of the emergency and the time that the emergency occurs. These personnel are the first points of contact for many campus emergencies including but not limited to auto accidents, fire, bomb threats, disturbances, chemical spills or threats, or general campus disturbances or emergencies.
As always, personal judgment must be exercised to assess the urgency of the situation and the appropriate personnel to contact.
- A speed dial option for campus police is available from any campus phone OR call 276-964-7221 for NON-EMERGENCY assistance.
- For EMERGENCY help use the Emergency call boxes located at each building and parking lot: Call boxes connect with a 9-1-1 operator 24/7 so only use them if it is an emergency (in need of a prompt response from Law Enforcement, EMS, or Fire Department). You may also call 276-988-5970 which connects you with the Tazewell County Sheriff’s Office
- Call the VP of Academic & Student Services at Ext. 637366 (276-964-7366) during hours (7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). The VP of Academic & Student Services is located in Tazewell Hall (T-345). SWCC Counselors are available if you want to discuss your options. The Threat Assessment and Management Team is also available for non-emergency assistance.
- Or contact any uniformed campus police officer.
Storm shelter signs have been placed across the campus to identify locations that meet one or more of the safety location requirements in the event of a tornado warning.
If the sign is located on or immediately next to a door, the safe location is on the other side of the door. If the sign is located on the wall, the safety location is in the area around the sign.
A Tornado Safety Location is one that:
- Has no windows
- Is on the lowest possible floor of a building
- Has no exterior walls
(When all three of these criteria cannot be met in a building, the safety location is the place that best meets them.)
Upon notification of a tornado warning, all persons should proceed to a tornado safety location inside their buildings, assisting those that need assistance and ensuring that those under their jurisdiction also go to the safety location. Whenever possible, employees will maintain an approximate head count of the persons from their areas. All building occupants are to remain in the safety location until the Tornado Warning has expired or until notified that the danger has passed.
This list may not be complete; please look for the signage or best safety location as described above.
- Tazewell: T119 (Auditorium)
- Russell Hall: R 123 and 124
- Davis Hall: 120 and 121
- KCC: Conference Rooms
- Dickenson: Lobby
- Buchanan: 121 and 123
- LRC: Studio and computer lab on lower floor
- Music Bldg: vacate or get under a desk
- Facility Building: Central bathrooms
- New Facility Building: Storage room[hr]
See the Inclement Weather Closing or Delay Status for current closings and delays, if any.