All Southwest Virginia Community College photo IDs are prepared in the Library in the Dellinger Hall Learning Resources Center. You must check in at the Circulation Desk when entering the Library.
All full or part-time SWCC students, including high school dual enrollment students, can get a free student ID/library card. Students must present the following information to obtain a card:
- Proof of current student status (any of the following is acceptable)
- Must have student EMPL ID number (7-digit number viewable in SIS or printed on enrollment card)
- Class registration form (signed by Admissions personnel)
- Current letter for notification of Pell grant
- My Southwest/Student Information System (SIS) schedule of current classes (viewable on phone, computer, or other hand-held device OR printed copy)
- PED receipt from Community Center (signed by Community Center staff)
- Verification in SIS by SWCC Library staff member
- Photo identification
- Physical state Driver’s license or other appropriate physical photo identification with current address; will not accept a picture of a Driver’s license (cannot require/accept Social Security cards or birth certificates); military issue photo ID; U.S. or a foreign issued passport with photo.
- Photo requirements
- currently, photos for student, staff, and community IDs are made at the time of application in Dellinger Hall in the Library
- DO NOT wear any hat or head covering (unless worn regularly for religious, cultural, or medical reasons); no shadows or obscurities on the face
- DO NOT wear sunglasses or glasses with dark or tinted lenses (eyes should be visible); no shadows or obscurities on the eyes
- Photos will be taken against a wall with a solid-color backdrop in a face-forward, centered position from the top of the head to the shoulders and/or cropped for centering and height adjustment
All faculty and staff members may get a faculty/staff I.D., which will also be used as a library card. An applicant must present a valid Driver’s license or other appropriate photo identification and be identified in the personnel directory or by supervisory/department personnel. Adjunct faculty and part-time personnel are eligible as well.
Community Member Procedures
The I.D. card will also be used as a library card. Depending on the time of year, the process usually takes 5 to 10 minutes to complete. You will be asked to fill out a short application form. Driver’s license or other appropriate photo identification with current address is required; if photo identification is not available, present two (2) forms with a current address (DMV notices, rental notices, electric bill, utility bill, tax forms, etc.)
The first card is free; however, there is a $5.00 charge for replacement. There is also a $5.00 charge for category changes unless the old card is returned (i.e., change from “area resident” to “student,” etc.).
Any community member can get a Library Card I.D. Applicants must present a VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE OR OTHER APPROPRIATE PHOTO IDENTIFICATION with a current address. Applicants must be 18 years old or older, otherwise, written parental permission is required. During inclement weather, please check to make sure the library is open by calling 276-964-7265.