The Veterans Upward Bound Program is funded through the United States Department of Education as a part of the TRIO grant programs. The mission of the Veterans Upward Bound Program is to assist eligible veterans to become successful in their educational and career goals.
In addition to offering services at Mountain Empire Community College, Southwest Virginia Community College, Virginia Highlands Community College, and Wytheville Community College, the program provides outreach services to other communities within the Commonwealth of Virginia on an “as-needed” basis. Current outreach services are being designed to address the needs of veterans in the Roanoke and New River Valley area.
Participation in Veterans Upward Bound does not obligate veterans to attend college at one of our partner institutions. The program is designed to assist veterans to pursue postsecondary education programs at the college or university of their choice.
We invite you to explore the FREE services available to veterans. Our mission is to promote higher education among the veteran population by providing comprehensive support services designed to enhance success in both educational and career goals.
Serving Those Who So Proudly Served For Us!
Eligibility Requirements for Veterans Upward Bound
- Any veteran who has served 181 days of active duty AND has received a discharge other than dishonorable
- Is a first-generation college student
- Meets low-income guidelines established by the Department of Education.
- Established academic need / been out of school for five or more years.
If you are uncertain of your eligibility, contact us for assistance.
Complete and submit the VUB-Application-form
- Make sure you have the free Adobe Reader installed on your computer.
- Open the VUB Application form by clicking on the link. Fill in the information.
- Save the form to your computer.
- Send it as an email with the form attached to Gwendalyn.Slone@sw.edu. Subject line: VUB Application.
You may also print & mail to the address below or Fax to 276-964-7514.
Veterans Upward Bound
Southwest Virginia Community College
P. O. Box 1101
Richlands, VA 24641
SERVICES- ALL services provided through VUB are FREE
- Enrollment Assistance – assistance with college selection and applications, VPT testing prep, and transfer assistance
- Academic Advising – guidance on program availability and course selections
- Financial Aid Information/Assistance – assistance with the FAFSA application and scholarship applications
- College Preparation Courses – refresher courses are available including grammar, basic math through pre-calculus, Science, and Foreign Language
- Career Planning – career counseling, interest inventories, and job availability
- Tutorial Services
- Workshops – personal and academic workshops are available on an individual basis including test-taking skills, study skills, note-taking, time management, resume preparation, and determining what type of learning you are.
- Agency Referrals
Resources & Helpful Links
- GI Bill® Website – www.gibill.va.gov
- Virginia Department of Veterans Services – www.dvs.virginia.gov
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs – www.va.gov
- Virginia Employment Commission – www.vec.virginia.gov
- Veterans Benefits Administration – www.vba.va.gov
- National Association of Veterans Upward Bound Program Personnel – www.navub.org
- Credits2 Careers. https://credits2careers.org
Veterans Upward Bound Director
SWCC – Buchanan Hall, Room 140
Fax # (for applications):
PO Box 1101
Richlands, VA. 24641
Student Veterans Association
The SVA welcomes all veterans and current military personnel to become a member. Membership is free.
Meetings are held in the Veterans Resource Center, Buchanan Hall, 123
The SVA Membership Form may be dropped off in Buchanan Hall, rm 141.