The Veterans Upward Bound Program is funded through the United States Department of Education as a part of the TRIO grant programs. The mission of the Veterans Upward Bound Program is to assist eligible veterans to become successful in their educational and career goals.
Serving Those Who So Proudly Served For Us!
In addition to offering services at Mountain Empire Community College, Southwest Virginia Community College, Virginia Highlands Community College, and Wytheville Community College, the program provides outreach services to other communities within the Commonwealth of Virginia on an “as-needed” basis. Current outreach services are being designed to address the needs of veterans in the Roanoke and New River Valley area.
Participation in Veterans Upward Bound does not obligate veterans to attend college at one of our partner institutions. The program is designed to assist veterans to pursue post secondary education programs at the college or university of their choice.
- Enrollment Assistance – assistance with college selection and applications, VPT testing prep, and transfer assistance
- Academic Advising – guidance on program availability and course selections
- Financial Aid Information/Assistance – assistance with the FAFSA application and scholarship applications
- College Preparation Courses – refresher courses are available including grammar, basic math through pre-calculus, Science, and Foreign Language
- Career Planning – career counseling, interest inventories, and job availability
- Tutorial Services
- Workshops – personal and academic workshops are available on an individual basis including test-taking skills, study skills, note-taking, time management, resume preparation, and determining what type of learning you are.
- Agency Referrals
Who is Eligible?
- Any Veteran who has served 181 days of active duty, and
- Received a discharge other than dishonorable, and
- Is first generation college student or
- Meets low income eligibility guidelines
- Member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces who served on active duty in support of a contingency operation on or before September 11, 2001, and have a high risk for academic failure.
If you are uncertain of your eligibility, contact us for assistance.
What is the Cost? Free.
All of our services are free to veterans who meet the eligibility requirements.
Complete and submit the VUB-Application-form
- Make sure you have the free Adobe Reader installed on your computer.
- Open the VUB Application form by clicking on the link. Fill in the information.
- Save the form to your computer.
- Send it as an email with the form attached to Help_for_Vets@sw.edu. Subject line: VUB Application.
You may also print & mail to the address below or Fax to 276-964-7514.
Veterans Upward Bound
Southwest Virginia Community College
P.O. Box 1101
Richlands, VA 24641
Resources & Helpful Links
- GI Bill® Website – www.gibill.va.gov
- Virginia Department of Veterans Services – www.dvs.virginia.gov
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs – www.va.gov
- Virginia Employment Commission – www.vec.virginia.gov
- Veterans Benefits Administration – www.vba.va.gov
- National Association of Veterans Upward Bound Program Personnel – www.navub.org
- Credits2 Careers. https://credits2careers.org
SWCC – Buchanan Hall, Room 140
Fax # (for applications):
P.O. Box 1101
Richlands, VA. 24641