Scholarships at Southwest Virginia Community College
How to apply for Foundation Scholarships
Unless otherwise indicated, applicants must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA and enroll with a minimum of 6 credit hours.
*Scholarship numbers and amounts may change depending on funding*
Please follow the steps outlined below to apply for SWCC Educational Foundation scholarships:
1. Before applying for scholarships:
· You must apply for admission to SWCC before applying for foundation scholarships (you can complete the application to Southwest here: http://apply.vccs.edu) Please note: Make sure SWCC has received your official transcripts from all high schools, colleges, and universities attended (if you are a returning student, you do not need to send them again).
· Complete the FAFSA application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa (SWCC’s code – 007260)
2. When you are ready to apply for scholarships:
· You will need to select “set your password” the first time you visit. Use either your SWCC email address & new password to login OR a personal email account to register.
· Now you’re all set to apply!
*Please note: If you have previously setup an account with award spring you will use the same information to log in again this year.
3. After you have submitted your application:
· Once you have finished the application, please check your dashboard and make sure there are not any follow up items you need to complete for specific scholarships.
· Please note: You only need to fill out the application once. You will see a listing of “Applied Scholarships” on your dashboard…these are the scholarships that you may qualify for, and have been applied to.
*Scholarship numbers and amounts are contingent on funding.
· Check your SWCC email account & your Award Spring account often to make sure we have not contacted you for any additional information.
- If for some reason you need to stop at any point during the application process, you can save your work and come back later.
- When completing your essay, you may copy from a program such as Microsoft Word and paste it into your application…this will help you keep a check on your word count.
- If you are asked to upload a document for a specific application, but are unsure of how to do that, consider asking your parents, a high school guidance counselor, a friend, or someone here on campus to help you with this.
- When asked for your program of study, please select the program that you will enroll in for the upcoming academic year at Southwest, not a program you intend to apply to or transfer into in the future.
The Community Foundation of the Virginias
The Community Foundation of the Virginias offers a variety of separate scholarship opportunities for area students, such as the Margaret “Trinka” Smith-Burke Scholarship and many more. The Foundation awarded scholarships totaling more than $174,100 to 74 area high school and college students seeking to further their education.
To see a complete list of Community Foundation of Virginias Scholarships available and information about the Scholarships program go to http://cfvinc.org/community-foundations-grants-and-scholarships/
Blankenship Justice Scholarship
Applications for the Blankenship Justice Scholarship must be postmarked to TCV Trust & Wealth management no later than April 30th.
Columbus Phipps Foundation
The Columbus Phipps Foundation begins January of each year taking applications for scholarships from students attending colleges or professional schools in the fall. Students who receive scholarships must reapply each year. Eligibility is limited to students who have graduated or will graduate from a Dickenson County High School, or have obtained a GED from Dickenson County. These scholarships will be granted until available funds have been expended.
Southwest Virginia Alliance for Manufacturing, Inc. Manufacturing Related Career Scholarship
For more information about this scholarship contact:
Email: Lgmitcham@swvam.org , Fax: (276) 698-3152
For additional information contact: Lennie Gail Mitcham, Executive Director, Office: (276) 492-2100
Virginia Foundation for Community College Education
The Virginia Foundation for Community College Education is taking applications for several scholarships, including The Valley Proteins Scholarship, The Potomac Health Foundation Scholarship, & The Davenport & Dominion Fellows Program Scholarships.
QUESTIONS? Telephone: 276.964.7286
Mailing Address: ATTN: SWCC Educational Foundation, Inc., Southwest Virginia Community College, PO Box 1101, Richlands, Virginia 24641-1101
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT
Southwest Virginia Community College does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
The college is subject to Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act; the Equal Pay Act; the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974; Federal Executive Order 11246; Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA); Virginia's State Executive Order Number Two; and all other applicable rules and regulations.