Renewals & Overdue Policy
Library Loan Periods
- Books, Print Magazines, Music CD's, Audio/CDs & MP3 - Two Weeks
- Video/DVD - Two Days
Currently, SWCC Library does not charge late fees for overdue materials. Please return all materials to the Library or renew materials (see the Renewals section below). Patrons will be notified of overdue Library materials. For non-returned materials and damaged materials, actual replacement costs and processing fees will be charged, and third and final notices will be mailed with cost replacement and processing fee amounts.
Current fees and previous overdue fines are reported to the SWCC Business Office on a quarterly basis which can result in a blockage of transcript retrieval and/or enrolling for classes until the obligation is met.
Please call the Circulation Desk (276-964-7265) for payment amounts and details for payment options. Fee and fine payments may be made at the SWCC Library Circulation Desk in the form of cash, check, or money order (no debit/credit cards at this time). Arrangements can be made for mailing payments to SWCC Library, P.O. 1011, Richlands, VA 24641.
Library users are responsible for all materials checked out on their cards. Materials loaned to another person or jointly used for research projects are the responsibility of the person charging the materials to his/her account.
Renewals - Ways to Renew
Community Members: We encourage you to renew your materials. Community patrons cannot renew through their library accounts, but can renew by phone, in person, or by the online renewal method. Students and faculty/staff may renew by either method.
- You can phone: 276.964.7265 to renew; just have your card# ready.
- You can also renew online using the form (e-mail address is required to renew electronically.)
- Items that are already overdue or that have reached their renewal limit cannot be renewed. Please call or come by the library to renew or return item(s).
Please be advised renewal may be refused due to:
- Certain items are restricted as to the number of times they can be renewed.
- Another patron has placed a hold on the item.
- The item(s) are overdue.
For students and faculty/staff, only, renewing via your library account
- Click on the online library catalog link here.
- Click on My Account found in the blue header; enter your SWCC Username and password.
- Scroll to the right and change the library to Southwest Virginia.
- In the Activities area, click the number of items (Loans) that you have in your school listing (SWC50).
- Click on the number of the item you want to renew. If available, click on the Renew link and the item will be renewed. If the Renew link is not available, the item cannot be renewed.
- Don't forget to sign-out of your account when you are finished.
Renewal RequestAn E-mail address is required for this service. You will receive an immediate renewal confirmation online, and you will receive a second notification of due dates by e-mail. If you do not receive a second renewal confirmation by e-mail within 48 hours, please notify us by phone (276.964.7265). Please note also that certain items are restricted as to the number of times they may be renewed and that renewal may also be refused if another person has placed a hold on the item, or if the material is too long overdue.