Which English and math courses should you register for?
After you have submitted an application to the College you must meet with a Student Success Advisor to verify your readiness for English (reading & writing) and math. In rare cases, you may have to enroll in prerequisite or co-requisite developmental courses, which do not count towards your credential, but are needed to prepare you for program success. These courses are financial aid eligible.
Student Success Advisors will use one of the following direct enrollment methods to verify your readiness:
- Multiple Measures: Students who have graduated or completed their GED within the last 5 years may enroll directly in gateway/college-level mathematics and English classes depending upon high school GPA and courses taken in high school.
- Informed Self-Placement (ISP): Adults who have graduated or gotten their GED more than 5 years ago may use this method. This requires meeting with a Student Success Advisor to cover examples of material in each course to inform your decision.
- Alternate tests: Submit official SAT or ACT scores to Admissions. The following scores indicate that you are eligible to register for college-level coursework:
- SAT scores equal to or higher than: 480/Reading & Writing; 530/Math
- ACT scores equal to or higher than: 18/Reading & Writing; 22+ Math
- GED scores equal to or higher than: 165/English; 155/Math
- Transfer Students: Transfer students must provide evidence of English and math class completion with a “C” or better by submitting an official transcript from another college or university to the Admissions office.
- Program-Specific Exemption: A limited number of certificates and/or diploma programs may not require English or math. Please check with your Student Success Advisor or contact Admissions 276.964.7238 for more information.
Students may have the option to take the Virginia Placement Test in order to improve their placement standing after other measures are considered, but will need to contact the Testing Center at 276.964.7674 to discuss their options.
Authorized Certification Testing Center
SWCC also provides facilities for Certiport Authorized testing services, which include the Microsoft Office Specialist Certifications exams and the Internet and Computing Core Certifications (IC3). Pearson VUE Authorized Testing Services are also available for manyInformation Technology Certifications and Professional Licensures.
Check the Distance Learning Website or call 276.964.7279 for more information.