You can apply for admission to Southwest Virginia Community College in a few easy steps.
Students like you choose Southwest Virginia Community College for its convenience, affordability, and welcoming environment.
We work hard to ensure that you have a positive experience—beginning with our admissions process.
There’s no fee to apply, and you can complete the application online. Just follow the steps below to get started.
If you haven’t consulted with one of our faculty advisers yet, we strongly recommend that you talk with one before applying for admission. Our advisers know all the ins and outs of higher education—and they can make the system work for you.
When you’re ready to apply:
STEP ONE: Fill out the SWCC online admissions form.
To apply for admission to Southwest Virginia Community College, you’ll use the free online admissions system of the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).
- If you have previously attended another VCCS school, be sure to select SWCC as your default school when you fill out the application form.
- Provide official transcripts from your high school, and (if applicable) previous colleges or universities you’ve attended.
- If you’re applying for financial aid, you must select the program of study you wish to pursue.
- Once you submit the application, you will automatically receive a free MYSouthwest account. You’ll use this account to register for classes and apply for financial aid.
STEP TWO: After completing your admission form, sign up for placement tests.
The Virginia Placement Test (VPT) is an untimed assessment exam that will help you select reading, writing, and math courses that fit your ability level. The VPT promotes your success by placing you into our course sequence at the right spot—not too difficult, not too easy.
- Prepare for the tests using study materials and practice tests from our Assessment and Testing page.
- You will take the VPT on our campus in the Learning Assistance Center, located in Room DE-215 in Dellinger Hall. Call the Learning Assistance Center at 276-964-7706 to schedule a testing appointment.
- Testing hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Allow two to three hours for the tests.
STEP THREE: Register for classes.
You can enroll for courses at any time through your MYSouthwest account. You can view course schedules online and read course descriptions in our Catalog / Student Handbook.
- If you’re a new student and you haven’t met with an academic adviser yet, you are required to do so before you register for courses.
- All new students must enroll in a Student Development course within their first 15 credits at Southwest Virginia Community College.
- All students have a lifetime limit on the number of college credits that can be paid for via federal financial aid. To avoid wasting credits on courses that don’t advance your educational goals, we recommend that you work with our academic advisers throughout your tenure at SWCC.
- Visit the MYSouthwest page and scroll to “Enroll and Access Schedules” for more information about course registration.
STEP FOUR: Pay your tuition.
Southwest Virginia Community College offers affordable degrees. View tuition and fee information here.
Southwest also has free tuition options available. The first step in each is to apply for financial aid (FAFSA). See tuition-free options.
- If you plan to use financial aid for some or all of your tuition, you should apply for financial aid before registering for classes. It’s an easy process, and our financial aid counselors can guide you through it.
- If you have already completed your financial aid application and have been approved for aid, your bill will be automatically credited by the amount of your financial aid award.
- If you do not have Financial Aid, the Paying for College page gives info on payment methods that are available to you.
If you have any questions about the admissions process, don’t hesitate to ask. We’re here to help! Contact the Southwest Virginia Community College Admissions Office at 276.964.7238 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Contact Us Now
Southwest Virginia Community College (SWCC) is one of the 23 colleges in the Virginia Community College System (VCCS). SWCC’s admissions policy can be found in the College Catalog, General Admission to the College.