Southwest Honors College
Build your academic resume with Honors College
What is Honors College?
The Honors College program is designed to challenge academically, well-prepared students and provide opportunities for academic excellence, in-depth subject exploration, research, service/leadership enhancement, and experiential learning on a local, national and global level.
As an Honors College student, you gain experiences that will help build your academic resume suitable for transfer to elite institutions, improve skills valuable to success in careers, and connect with likeminded students.
Students who participate in the Honors College at Southwest will be afforded unique academic opportunities among a cohort of peers.
- have a designated lounge with computers, printers, study area and coffee corner to enrich their education experience.
- are eligible for scholarships which are awarded after final selection of the cohort.
- have study-abroad opportunities with SWCC faculty.
- have access to transfer agreements with 4-year honors college institutions.
- first year students are in a cohort model to enhance learning and academic support.
CHOOSE YOUR PATH
We offer two concentrations for students majoring in either general studies or advanced manufacturing.
Complete 12 credit hours in your chosen program as Honors Courses, which require accelerated assignments.
After the first semester honors class, begin an accelerated pathway focused on work-based learning. Internships also provide more on-the-job training.
Selection Criteria & Application
In order to be eligible for the Honors College at Southwest Virginia Community College a student must demonstrate a:
- high school GPA of 3.5 or greater
- high school faculty recommendation
- recommendation from the Honors Committee at SWCC following an interview.