Health Technology Programs
Get first-rate preparation for the RN licensing exam in our accredited nursing program.
The need for registered nurses continues to grow. With a nursing associate’s degree from Southwest Virginia Community College, you can get full preparation to enter the nursing profession. In addition to the Nursing program track, qualified applicants may choose the LPN to RN Transition program path.
The Virginia Appalachian Tricollege Nursing Program (VATNP) accepts new students each fall semester.
Complete a nursing certificate that prepares you for the LPN licensure exam.
You can complete this practical nursing certificate in just four semesters, developing the knowledge and skills to pass the LPN licensure exam and enter the work force as a health care professional.
Occupational Therapy Assistant
With our accredited associate degree, you’ll be qualified for OT assistant jobs in less than two years.
The Occupational Therapy Assistant associate degree provides you with superior training for well-paying health care jobs.
Program Statistics – The total number of graduates from the Southwest Virginia Community College Occupational Therapy Assistant program during the 3-year period of 2015-2017 was 90, with an overall graduation rate of 83%. For NBCOT’s annual board exam pass rates of OTA and OT graduates, please see: https://secure.nbcot.org/data/schoolstats.aspx
Through the cooperative Radiologic Technology Program you will receive a quality educational experience in the art and science of radiologic technology.
The Radiography program helps students succeed, both academically and clinically, as entry-level radiographers.
Mammography Advanced Studies courses are also available.
Emergency Medical Services Technology
Complete an accredited paramedic associate’s degree in a supportive environment—and reap the rewards.
Emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and paramedics have rewarding but demanding jobs. Southwest Virginia Community College will help you rise to the challenge through our AAS in Emergency Medical Services Technology program. Students applying to MECC, VHCC or SWCC should complete the following:
- Apply to College at https://apply.vccs.edu
Apply to either MECC – Big Stone Gap, VHCC – Abingdon, or SWCC – Richlands. Students who will attend class at either Wytheville or Galax must apply to SWCC- Richlands. If you have trouble, call the college's admissions office
- Apply to the program Paramedic Program Application.
- Apply for EMS tuition assistance: Download and complete the Tuition Assistance Application Attach to an email to email@example.com or fax to 276-964-7531. Note: the applicant MUST apply for college financial aid before they can be eligible for this assistance.
- Complete the Financial Aid application to the college through which you will attend.
SWCC offers a variety of 1 year certificate programs designed to provide training for entry, or transition, into a health care field.
View the Science & Health Technologies program list in our catalog for more information.
January 15 - Radiography (extended to February 15 for the application year Fall 2019 only)
February 15 - Nursing and Occupational Therapy Assistant
March 8 - Practical Nursing
- Registered Nursing Program . | Apply to Nursing Program
- LPN to RN Transition Program . | . Apply to LPN to RN Transition
- Practical Nursing (LPN) Program . | . Apply to LPN Program
- Occupational Therapy Assistant Program | . Apply to OTA Program
- Radiography Program | . Apply to Radiography Program | Mammography Advanced Studies
- Emergency Medical Services Technology Program | Apply to EMS Program
- Computed Tomography Program | Apply to Computed Tomography