Welcome to the SWCC Virtual Cyber Center! Southwest Virginia Community College offers a pathway to begin your journey in the cybersecurity world. The Career Studies Certificate in Cybersecurity can be easily inserted into our Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology for students planning on transferring and completing a Bachelors Program.
The diverse training opportunities allows students within the certificate program to begin prepping for Security+, Network+, and other industry certifications.
Credit & Non-Credit Programs
The Career Studies Certificate in Cybersecurity is designed to introduce students at the basic level of study in cybersecurity by beginning with the basics. The program begins with CompTIA IT Fundamentals. In the Spring and Summer 2019 terms, the program will also begin to include the EC-Council Certified Secure Computer User training. The certificate also includes preparation for CompTia IT Fundamentals, Security+, A+, and Network+. In the upcoming Fall 2019 term, the program will also include preparation options for the EC-Council Certified Secure User (CSCU) and Ethical Hacker (CEH) certification.
Students planning on transferring are advised to also complete the Associates of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology Degree which does share some of the same courses as the career certificate program. Students are also asked to meet with both SWCC advisors and the institution they wish to transfer to as course requirements may change.
Interview with Cybersecurity Program Head
Michael Brown is an associate professor of Information Technology (IT), Graphic Design, Parks and Recreation. He teaches various IT courses, focused primarily on IT Fundamentals, Web Design, and Networking classes. Mr. Brown has a B.S. and a M.S. in Engineering Technology from East Tennessee State University. He is a proud former student of SWCC. The parks and recreation classes are part of Mr. Brown's hobbies that have become a lifestyle.
Professor Bundy is a full-time IT faculty member. He received bachelors and master's degrees in Computer Science from the University of Virginia. He has over 30 years of work experience in academia, government and the private sector. He likes chocolate chip cookies and coffee.
Dr. Rowell is a professor of Information Systems Technology and Administrative Support Technology. She has more than 25 years of information technology/administrative support technology related experience. She holds an Ed. D. in Educational Leadership from East Tennessee State University. Dr. Rowell has been teaching IT and AST courses at SWCC since 1998.
Crystal Dye is an Assistant Professor of Information Systems Technology and also teaches within the cybersecurity program. Ms. Dye teaches a variety of IT courses including MS Office, Advanced MS Excel Spreadsheets, Network Security (Security+), Systems Analysis and our Capstone course for the Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology. She has 13 years of teaching experience in higher education and has been teaching at SWCC since 2012. She also has She holds a Bachelor’s of Science from Milligan College and a Masters of Information Technology from American InterContinental University. Ms. Dye also serves as Program Head for the Information Systems of Technology and Cybersecurity programs at SWCC and is the designated point of contact for the Center of Academic Excellence.
Important Note: The following information is provided as guidance only. Often institutions will change academic requirements. It is recommended to maintain contact with both SWCC and your intended transfer institution to ensure all requirements will be met for program completion.
Students planning on transferring are advised to also complete the Associates of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology degree prior to transferring.
Cybersecurity Competitions, Initiatives & Events
Southwest Virginia Community College offers several opportunities throughout the year for elementary, high school, and SWCC students to participate in cyber competitions and events.
Summer 2020: Coding Camp for Girls - Dates: TBD
This year SWCC will be conducting the fourth annual Coding Camp for girls. Due to the current COVID-19 schedule change, this event will be posted at a later date. For additional information and registration, please contact our Business, Engineering, and Industrial Technology Deans Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2020: Virtual Cybersecurity Student Symposium – Date: TBD
This year SWCC will be conducting the first annual SWCC Virtual Cyber Student Symposium. The symposium will offer presentations by students on how cybersecurity is within their chosen career choice such as education, technology, business, finance, etc. More information will be available during the Fall 2020 term.
Cyber News & Initiatives
- March 20, 2020: SWCC releases new recruitment video and updated web area for the Career Study Certificate in Cyber security at: https://sw.edu/cybersecurity-credentials-swcc/
- Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 academic terms also included installing an on-campus cyber security lab for hands-on simulation for students.
- October 9, 2020: SWCC was designated as a Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security.
- Faculty members, Charles Bundy and Crystal Dye, presented “Partnerships for Information Technology Success: A Best Practice Discussion” at the Community Colleges of Appalachian Conference in June 2019 in Asheville, NC.
- Faculty members, Charles Bundy and Crystal Dye, presented “Partnerships for Information Technology Success: A Best Practice Discussion” at the 3CS Conference in July 2019 in Shreveport, LA.
Cybersecurity Facts & Resources
- Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education: https://www.nsa.gov/resources/students-educators/centers-academic-excellence/
- National Cyberwatch Center: https://www.nationalcyberwatch.org/
- National Institute of Standards and Technology: https://www.nist.gov/topics/cybersecurity
- National Institute of Standards and Technology – Computer Security Resource Center: https://csrc.nist.gov/
- National Security Agency – Cybersecurity: https://www.nsa.gov/what-we-do/cybersecurity/